08 Jan Bacon Jam
- 1.5 lb Finest Sausage & Meat bacon, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 Tbsp butter unsalted
- 2 medium sweet onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional, but tasty)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook the Finest bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain then finely crumble. Reserve bacon drippings or freeze for use in another dish.
- Add butter and diced onion to the skillet. Cook the onion over medium until browned and beginning to caramelize, about 10-15 minutes. Add garlic, cook for 1 minute longer or until fragrant.
- Add brown sugar, maple syrup, vinegar, chili powder, pepper flakes and bacon to the skillet. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until thickened and reduced around 20-25-minutes.
- Serve on burgers, crostini, cheese or crackers. Mmm!
For a finer texture, pulse cooked bacon jam in a food processor until desired consistency is achieved.
May be stored in an airtight container chilled for 2 weeks or frozen.